- I posted on a thread, but users downvoted and replied saying it wasn’t an answer. What do they mean?
- What does it mean for an answer to be too forum-like?
- Someone told me not to comment in an answer. What is that?
- What should answers be used for?
To understand why we require what we do of answers, there's an important aspect we need to clear first:
RPG.SE is a Q&A site, not a traditional forum
A traditional forum is a place for a conversation. RPG.SE, as a Q&A site, is specialized to creating a repository of questions which have received high quality, expertise based answers.
This influences much of the site's design, including what different parts of the site should be used for. For answers, this means answers should only be used for giving high-quality, expertise-based answers which solve (or attempt to solve) the problem faced in the question.
- Saying "thanks" or "me too" in an answer doesn't go towards that goal. To show that an answer was helpful, press the upvote button on it. If you are the asker of a question, you can also mark one answer as accepted using the checkmark below the vote buttons. You can change the accepted answer later if better answers come in.
- While we appreciate new questions, posting one as an answer doesn't give a space for it to properly answered and doesn't let it be cataloged so future readers can readily find it.
- On RPG.SE, we use comments for requesting clarifications, suggesting improvements, and similar things which are part of the process. Answers are not for these things; they're for answering the question. If an answer contains comment-y sections, those parts may be edited out, and if it only contains comment-y material. it may be deleted altogether.†
- A part of the Q&A model is that answers are sorted by their votes. This means a newer answer may be displayed above an older one if votes change. In addition, answers may be deleted (say by their authors). Therefore, answers should answer the whole question and independently (i.e. without leaning on or replying to other answers). The best such answer should be upvoted to the top.
- How do we ask and answer subjective questions?
- What are the citation expectations of answers on RPG Stack Exchange?
- Is homebrew an acceptable answer to a question?
- Should I be requesting people answer the question independently?
- How do we handle a desire to challenge the frame of a question?
- What's a frame challenge?
† Diamond moderators have the option to convert an answer into a comment, but do so sparingly and generally not by request.