Every time I post an answer to my question or someone makes a small suggestion I respond and then I say something along the lines of "Thanks" or "Thank you". This ends up in my answer/comment getting deleted. Why is this?
Answers must answer the question.
From the help center article on answer deletion (italics mine):
Answers that do not fundamentally answer the question may be removed. This includes answers that are:
- commentary on the question or other answers
- asking another, different question
- “thanks!” or “me too!” responses
- exact duplicates of other answers
- barely more than a link to an external site
- not even a partial answer to the actual question
For comments, see here: Why are site comments being deleted?