If we talk about adventures, we're probably going to have spoilers. Do we care?
My position: we should be a spoiler zone, and this should go in the FAQ so as to warn people. It's going to limit the ability to answer questions too much if people have to worry about talking around their answers. If the SO programmers would like to add a spoiler block, that'd be keen, but this feature request has been around for nearly a year and hasn't seen much support so far. We could lobby for it, though!
I think we should give a little care to hide spoilers. When a question specifically asks for spoilers it should be tagged
spoiler. However I think a FAQ statement might go a long way.
Also there is a better performing
A spoiler syntax has been implemented network wide.
My take on it:
Spoilers need to be allowed, in order for us to effectively answer some important questions.
It is common courtesy to warn others about spoilers in some may, much as it is common courtesy TO TURN THE CAPS LOCK OFF.
The spoilers tag works well, but only for people who don't want to ever see a spoiler about anything, ever. Most people will have a few things they don't want spoiled, while being okay with seeing spoilers for a great many other things.
Until the Feature request for a spoiler markup tag comes through, I'd suggest the following:
Use descriptive, but spoiler-free titles for posts containing spoilers.
Use the Spoiler tag.
Append a simple warning paragraph to the top of the post, if you don't think the title is sufficient warning.
Once the feature request comes through, use the above for posts which contain extensive spoilers (i.e. the entire thread is likely to be one huge spoiler), and the markup tag for incidental spoilers.
We should definitely be a spoiler-permitted zone. However, we should be careful to warn people of where spoilers are particularly present, or seek to hide them from general viewing entirely. Measures we can take to this end should include:
- Spoiler warning in the site FAQ.
- Spoiler tag on affected Questions.
- This maybe should include Questions for which there are Answers containing spoilers, as the Answers themselves cannot be tagged.
- Explicit spoiler warnings in Question/Answer posts containing spoilers.
- Support of the Feature Request to hide spoilers.
- This feature is marked as STATUS-PLANNED! :-)
- Use of spoiler-hiding features once they are available.
- This should include retroactive editing of existing posts, for site-wide consistency. - This can be helped along with consistent use of the spoiler tag, until the feature is implemented.