I have something that I am confused or concerned about concerning how this site works. Where can I get help?
Firstly, if you are a new user, welcome to the site! We are a community of people that want to help you and get you an answer. Unfortunately, the site has a bit of a learning curve to it. But many of us have already been through that and are here to help you get through it too.
If you are here and confused about anything at all, here are some of the options available to get help:
- Take the tour — taking the tour will give you a quick rundown of how this site works. It covers most of the most basic questions and it only takes a minute to scroll through. Plus you get a badge for doing it!
- Search our help center — This is a good place to come for questions about policies or mechanics about the site for things which the tour may have only briefly touched on. Search using some of the terms that are confusing you and see if anything helpful pops up.
- Post your question to Meta — Meta is where we deal with questions about how this site works and resolve confusion and issues. Searching for your issue there is a good first step and your issue may have already been asked and answered! If not, simply post a question there and the community will be able to answer you or point you to an appropriate answer. Don't be shy about posting questions or concerns here, that is what it is for and we'd honestly be happy to help you out. If you are ever interested in browsing Meta, start with our FAQ which has answers to many of the most common issues you might run into.
- Ask in our friendly chat room — Once you have 20 reputation, you will be able to post messages in chats. In the chatroom you will find people talking about a wide variety of topics. People almost always more than willing to help out someone with a concern or confusion. Just note that there are times when chat is not that active, in which case it might be a while before you get a response. However, if chat is busy, then you'll likely get an answer pretty quickly or pointed towards it.
- Ask in a comment — If you are confused by something that somebody said, either in a comment or in their post (question or answer), you can try asking about it in a comment. Note that you have to have 50 rep to comment anywhere, but you can always comment under your own posts. To tag a particular user put "@[username]" in your comment. Tagging will notify the user, but only if the user has commented on that post already or has edited it (maximum of 1 tag per comment).
Just remember, we are here to help so please don't hesitate to use any or all of the resources above if you have any confusion or concerns or suggestions for us.