Stack Overflow and Other Computer Stacks
I have been using SO since it started. I was unregistered for a long while and am rather annoyed that I have lost all the information that went with my unregistered login (I assume it's kept in a cookie which I accidentally wiped trying to get my unregistered account registered).
I code in C# mostly but have dabbled with Python, Ruby, Lisp and PHP. I'm nowhere near an expert with anything. I'm pretty good with SQL for SQL Server.
I know a hawk from a handsaw but only when the wind is southerly.
This is also me: http://stackoverflow.com/users/261178/bert
But I have no way to prove that.
Writing, Role Playing and Board Games
I started out writing when I was about ten and a teacher gave me an exercise book to direct my overactive imagination and hopefully tame my awful calligraphic skills. One out of two, I suppose, isn't bad. My imagination has been directed but my handwriting remains appalling to this day quarter of a century hence.
At first I wrote what people write, genre novels, trying to make something I would be proud of, a dark fantasy novel to capture the imagination filled with relatable characters and new ideas. After producing a heap of badly written generic tripe with wooden characters, appalling dialogue and wonky plotted garbage I finally fixed the dialogue in the first novel I wrote that doesn't make me blush with shame Hidden Predators, Dangerous Prey.
After that I noodled around trying to make something a publishing house might want to publish before realising my chances of a satisfying career as a writer were about as good as my chances of winning the lottery four weeks straight.
Thereafter I got involved in the murky world of self-publishing and it was a short leap from there to the design of RPGs and other such ephemera.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Member for 9 years, 11 months
2 profile views
Last seen Dec 22 '10 at 13:08
- Writing 7.8k 7.8k 11 gold badge2020 silver badges3737 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 693 693 22 gold badges99 silver badges2323 bronze badges
- Server Fault 179 179 11 silver badge1111 bronze badges
- Role-playing Games 151 151 33 bronze badges
- English Language & Usage 141 141 11 silver badge55 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 35 How long should it take to write 100k words?
- 30 What's Essential In A Combat Scene?
- 26 What is a discovery writer?
- 25 Getting Inside Someone Else's Head
- 20 How do you make a character quintessential, but not cliched or cartoony?
- 19 What is the difference between writing in the first and the third person?
- 18 What exactly is an editor?
- View more network posts →