Consider supporting Monica Cellio's gofundme here >>>
A popular and well-respected volunteer network moderator, Monica Cellio, was terminated without warning and portrayed to the press as misgendering trans people by Stack Overflow, Inc. All signs suggest this was an erroneous, if not malicious, decision not founded on fact, which the company is completely failing to take any responsibility for. This has caused an enormous and ongoing uproar in the community.
Monica and the community have been quite literally begging for some kind of response from the company either opening up a path to reinstatement, or justifying their decision to terminate her, for more than a month now. She's made many good-faith offers to talk, and others have offered to mediate (and made dozens of constructive suggestions on how to resolve the situation). Several members of the Lavender community have spoken up on her behalf, e.g. in this prominent post.
So far, Stack Overflow, Inc. has met all of this with thunderous silence. As a long-time contributor and someone always willing to see the good in the company's and its employees' actions and assume good faith, I'm still struggling to come to terms with the corporate callousness of this behaviour which we have to assume now is the new normal.
Having exhausted all other means of communication, Monica is now raising funds for potential legal action to clear her name. This is in her own interest, but arguably also in the interest of the SO community at large. While only the libel is likely to be legally actionable, it might establish at least some boundaries to what the company can do to its volunteers, as well as be a symbolic slap in the face of a business that appears to have lost all respect for the community that keeps it alive.
I have complete trust the funds will be used well and anything left over (say because they decide to do the right thing after all and legal action becomes unnecessary) will go toward good causes.
Member for 6 years, 8 months
161 profile views
Last seen 2 days ago
- The Workplace 58.7k 58.7k 2929 gold badges135135 silver badges190190 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 52.7k 52.7k 88 gold badges5959 silver badges9696 bronze badges
- Role-playing Games 18.8k 18.8k 66 gold badges4848 silver badges102102 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 10.2k 10.2k 77 gold badges2323 silver badges3636 bronze badges
- Project Management 5.1k 5.1k 1010 silver badges2121 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 838 Offensive language/behavior from co-worker in online game
- 669 How to discipline overeager engineer
- 493 What to do when a sick employee doesn't respond to communications, and has important data?
- 368 Stack Overflow is doing me ongoing harm; it's time to fix it!
- 317 Am I being asked to lie in my job?
- 311 Why are the Code of Conduct changes received so negatively, and what can / could have been done to change that?
- 267 Are there specific issues with unwelcoming behavior toward LGBTQ persons on Stack Exchange?
- View more network posts →