Hi, I'm Tod Foley. I'm an RPG designer and interactive developer who's been exploring emergent narrative systems since the 90s.
I'm the author of "DayTrippers" (a surreal science-fiction reality-hopping RPG), "Watch the World Die" (a collaborative apocalypse-generation game), "CyberSpace" (an old-school cyberpunk RPG), as well as several RPG systems and adventure modules for Iron Crown Enterprises. You can find them here.
I sometimes produce large-scale semi-scripted narrative experiences I call "Hypertheater" events, which are like a cross between LARPs and branching plays.
I view RPG design as high art, and gamemastering as a set of didactic techniques for enabling complex symbolic communication and psychological exploration through immersive narrative. This requires artfulness, fortitude, resourcefulness and compassion, in addition to general knowledge and storytelling skills. I believe that if we lived in a sane world, a GM would need a therapist's license.
Member for 7 years, 1 month
3 profile views
Last seen Dec 19 '14 at 8:45
Top network posts
- 36 New players missing the big picture?
- 17 How can I roleplay a character more manipulative than myself?
- 16 Generate an engaging and "realistic" tribe of orcs (also one of ogres)
- 13 Can Apocalypse World be played as a two-player game?
- 13 How can I encourage my players to give me plot hooks?
- 10 Explain How History Works in Apocalypse World
- 10 Metagaming when there isn't actually anything there?
- View more network posts →