There is a thing called "5e: HARDCORE MODE" which is basically a set of house rules for the D&D 5th edition. I want to ask a couple of questions about this thing, but I hesitate how to tag these questions. There is no specific [5e-hardcore-mode] tag, and just [dnd-5e] is just wrong, because the question is not about 5e rules, it is about these particular house rules.

Which tag is more preferable? Should I create a new one?

  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ Highly related: How to tag 3rd-party/homebrew content that is published? \$\endgroup\$
    – Someone_Evil Mod
    Commented Feb 8, 2021 at 13:14
  • \$\begingroup\$ Homebrew content and house rules are different things though. @Someone_Evil \$\endgroup\$
    – enkryptor
    Commented Feb 8, 2021 at 13:15
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ I would have put this into the 3rd party bucket personally, not sure where it lands on the homebrew to house rule spectrum and not sure how important that is :) \$\endgroup\$
    – Someone_Evil Mod
    Commented Feb 8, 2021 at 13:18
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ @enkryptor House Rules and Homebrew aren't really a different thing, they're two sides of the same coin. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Feb 8, 2021 at 13:30
  • \$\begingroup\$ Critical hit and critical failure aren't really different things, they're two sides of the same die @RevenantBacon \$\endgroup\$
    – enkryptor
    Commented Feb 18, 2021 at 15:54
  • \$\begingroup\$ @enkryptor Haha, yes, that's certainly not incorrect. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Feb 20, 2021 at 0:41

1 Answer 1


The important bit is to keep the information in the body.

Then, if you are asking a question about a topic which we don't have a tag for, sure make one. A specific ruleset counts as such a topic as far as I see.

The tag would then collect questions about that ruleset usefully. Having a tag that collects a narrow topic isn't a cost, and if it's too narrow it'll just get roomba'd (if it doesn't have a description).

As for having a tag for a specific ruleset modification, it's not something that comes up often, but for prior art see the tag.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .