I think we should burninate campaign-settings. It seems to be overloaded and doesn't actually say or do much.
From what I can tell, it gets used in the following situations:
“I am asking about a (non-default) setting”, e.g.: How common is faction membership in Planescape? or Which Golarion features are important to Curse of the Crimson Throne?.
- “I am asking about some lore details of the game's default setting”, e.g. What is the default date of Fireborn? or (initially, before I removed it) How large are the Shards?. This doesn't seem to do anything meaningful in these situations; we can use lore instead for “I'm looking for information about the world” and we can also use just the game's tag alone when we're asking about its setting.
- “I am asking about a mechanic from an expansion setting”, e.g.: Do Edges and Rippertech stack?, but the campaign-settings tag alone here doesn't seem particularly meaningful either.
- Six publishing questions that are in some way about settings: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/publishing+campaign-settings
I think instead we should be using:
- Lore tag when it's about in-world lore
- A tag for the specific setting or expansion or mechanic, as and when it seems appropriate based on our judgement
- Optionally just the game tag itself when we're asking about its setting
- Publishing questions can still be tagged as publishing or IP
- campaign-settings gets burninated
If I'm missing something and we should keep it, please do speak your mind in response.